Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It just makes no sense!


Each day I struggle with the same questions. It's like a riddle that will never make sense and never be answered. Why do little kids have to suffer with adult diseases? Why must they fight to live? How can we, the parents of these kids, muster up the strength to watch them go thru painful procedures, surgeries, and loss... Loss of the normal life so many other kids get to enjoy? It seems almost impossible, but yet we do it.

I had the privilege to attend a very special birthday party this past weekend. It was one like no other. There were balloons, a jumpy house, face painting, raffles, an ice cream truck, fire engines, pizza, a dance show, goodie bags and over a hundred guests. It was even held at a fire station! I was so happy to be there! So why did I find myself tearing up throughout the day? Because the party was way more than a celebration of birth, it was a celebration of life. It was a celebration of a mothers love for her child, of all her wishes and dreams for that child. It was a celebration of hope. We celebrated Lorenzo.

I met Heather 7 years ago at Children's hospital. We were sitting in the waiting room holding our babies. She sat next to me and asked me what my daughter had (we both knew the kids "had" something, we were in the cardiology clinic). I told her Sky had dilated cardiomyopathy. I'll never forget what she said, "OMG That's what my son has! It's so rare, I can't believe they both have it". We exchanged numbers and have kept in contact ever since.

Unfortunately, Lorenzo's heart became too diseased and he had to have 2 heart transplants. Though I can't go into to details about his current status or prognosis, I can tell you that the birthday party was also a fundraiser. The family just wants to take their baby to Disney. They want his days filled with happiness and love... not pain and sadness. They want what every mother of a sick child wants. More time. More memories. However, It seems that Ren will have to have a very serious surgery before he can go to Disney. He'll have to have shunts placed in his coronary arteries to help keep them patent. He is scheduled to have this done on May 13th. Please, Please, keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers!

Heather is absolutely amazing, I know she hates hearing that but it's true. She handles all of this with such grace. She is truly an inspiration to me. So my thoughts and my prayers are going out to Lorenzo. I wish him a successful surgery and speedy recovery. But most of all, my wish for Lorenzo is that he gets to go to Disney... because that's where dreams really do come true.

2 comments:

JennyP said...

Thanks for the morning tears.

Please update after the surgery as well. I will be keeping him and his family in my thoughts.

I hope they are able to go to Disney soon and build memories and laughter.

Maybe you can post the address for donations again.

Oh and by the way, that was beautifully written,

Anonymous said...

Jaci,
You are so sweet:) Ren has been through more than most of us will ever go through in our lives. He is my hero. He is so strong and never complains. I wish I could trade places with him and take all the bad things away. I hate to see him in pain. Since he started on Rapumine (an antirejection drug) that his little body hates, his kidneys have taken a hit:( We'll most likely be admitted again tomorrow. I want him in the best possible condition before the BIG surgury. Please continue to pray for my little boy. I know this is just going to be one more bump in the road. Ren's going to get through this..... There are just so many more memories that have yet to be made:)