Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Todays news

I'm going to make this quick because I have to get ready for class.

Sky had another cardio appointment today. I was expecting to hear her heart function had decreased and that she'd need surgery.... I was wrong. Sky had another great echo today! Her heart function remains normal as does the size of her heart. The plan is to go back in June or July for a repeat echo and go from there. If her heart is still normal we'll wean her off her meds, if not, we'll talk about surgery. Her EKG is still very abnormal, showing a bundle branch block. What that means is that as the electricity runs down the "wire" to the ventricles the right side gets the "electricity" first, followed by the left. They should receive the signal at the same time so that the ventricles can pump together. The weird thing is that even though her EKG shows a block, her heart does not. The ventricles appear to be contracting at the same time.
My take on this? So glad you asked.... I think the ventricles are probably not beating at the same time but they are off by such a minuscule amount that the echo can't see it. Eventually the heart will tire and the time between the contractions will start to show. She'll need a pacer then. However, that is just my guess and not something I have been told. Dr. Blume feels that sky probably isn't cured. She does, however, think it's possible she may not need the pacer or meds and that her function could stay normal. The only way to know is to try to wean her off everything. Why put her thru another surgery if she doesn't really need it? Or why do it now if she can wait 10 years?
On another note.. Thank you all that donated or signed up for the walk! I saw Ligia today, she is the nurse that is trying to raise money for the camp and the one organizing the race, and she said I was a "champion". She said I had so many people donating or racing in honor of Sky! She thanked me for everything I've done.... I couldn't have done it without all of YOU! If you haven't signed up for the race it's not too late. See the link in my last blog update.

Ok, off to school I go!!

No comments: