Thursday, June 2, 2011

Surgery date is set

We are home from the hospital, finally. What an interesting visit we had. First I have to say that Skyler is such an amazing child. She wrote a bunch of questions and concerns for her and her doctor to discuss. I politely excused myself from the room so they could speak privately. I figured she'd be more comfortable speaking to him without me in the room voicing my opinion. So I left the room and 10 min later the DR came out because he got a phone call. Sky told me that he was talking to her about turning the pacer on. She was too scared to tell him she didn't want that. So when he came back I told him Sky was worried about asking one certain question. He got the hint, I left the room, and they continued to talk. 10 minutes later he had me come back in the room and he told me that they were not turning it back on and that he was going to replace the pacer. Sky will be having surgery Thursday. The Dr will move her pacer from her stomach up into her collar bone area. The wires will be placed into the vein in her neck down into the heart and the leads will be attached. We will then spend the night in the hospital and be released the next morning. She'll only miss a few days of school too. I'm thrilled we are going this route. The other option was placing the leads on her heart (rather than in it) and she would have had to have a huge thoracotomy as well as a sternotomy. It would have been so brutal. I'm relieved she doesn't have to go through that.
So that's my story :)

No comments: