Saturday, February 19, 2011

Finally!!

I'll start at the beginning.

Yesterday, around 3:40, while I was at work, I looked at my cell phone and saw I had a voice mail from Skyler's super fabulous school nurse. She said sky was having trouble breathing and that she cannot put sky on the school bus and I needed to call her immediately. When I called her back all I heard was, "Distress, emt's and Rick." That was all my head could register. I ran out of work thinking the worst. I called Rick to find out what was happening and he told me he was at the school with Sky. Her episode had passed and it was decided we'd take her to the ER.

We got to the ER at Children's and they were all ready for Sky. I mean it was beautiful. We got right into a room and cardiologists came right in. Not only that, but they knew exactly who she was. They were the doctors that cared for her during her pacemaker surgery. So they took a quick history but amazingly they knew most of it. One Doc said, "This is obviously the pacemaker, you've given us a consistent story of symptoms." Oh thank god! Finally, someone who actually believes us!

They did an ekg and chest Xray and everything looked fine. Then someone from the electrophysiology came to speak with us. She was a little unconvinced it was due to the pacer. Sky told her all the symptoms she has been experiencing since her PM surgery. She was still unconvinced (she didn't say that, but I could tell from her facial expressions). She explained how the pacemaker and wires were no where near her esophagus so choking could not be related. Ugh, I sensed another battle. Then she decided to test the left lead. She turned up the voltage and Sky immediately had a reaction. She put her hands around her throat, made a face, and said, "ugh, my throat. I can feel it in my throat." then she started coughing. The pacemaker was shut right off.

Finally! Something that linked the pacer to one of her symptoms! One of her "Broad, clearly non cardiac" symptoms (That quoted material is for Eileen, she'll understand what I mean ;) ) I told the EP doctor to make sure that is documented in her chart. Actually, what I said was, "You will document that, right? And let Dr. ****** know? Because he is having a hard time accepting this is all from her pacemaker." She said that she'd write it in her chart, put a note right on the front page AND let that Dr know. Finally!

So the pacemaker is off but Skyler doesn't know. I didn't want to tell her because I don't want the Doc to suggested it was all in her head.... That the symptoms stopped because Sky knew it was off. You get the idea.

So what happens now? I have no freaking idea. It will stay off for one month and I have no idea what they will do after. What I do know is that I will fight for a new pacemaker and leads!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

go get em diana! you always were a fighter...my prayers are with you always and an extra prayer for sky...jarit

Jacinda said...

Hi Jarit,
So glad you stopped by. However, I am not Diana. I think you got the wrong Sky. Thanks for the well wishes,
Jacinda